Friday, January 14, 2011

shooting with katie

 

 




 

 





These are the results of an afternoon with my friend Katie, who was such a pleasure to shoot. As well as being ridiculously photogenic, she has a finely tuned intuition for portraying emotion and interacting with the camera. This is my first 'proper' photoshoot, so it's a bit experimental but I am pretty pleased with the way the images came out, and I feel like I got enough of a variance between the photographs to sustain interest when viewing them.
The location is the absolutely incredible run-down/derelict California Hotel which I highly, HIGHLY recommend visiting if you're nearby. I went there once at night with Jon and it creeped me out so badly I felt like I was about to burst into tears (srsly). There are numerous sets on flickr that show just how amazing it really is (unobscured by the presence of people in the photographs). Spooky. After a few minutes there, in broad daylight mind you, Katie and I were starting to shiver a little bit. Maybe I should mention that I am a huge wuss who can't even play boss battles in Mass Effect 2 without feeling the need to pause them and fling myself on the bed in terror, demanding that Jon finish them for me (he declines to).
I'm starting to plan my next shoot soon - I'll be scouting for locations for the next couple of weeks and trying to build a feel around that, some kind of mood and story and aesthetic to start from. A monochromatic series would be really nice, something to learn from - I'm so used to shooting in colour that it would be a good learning exercise to break out of that particular boundary.


This set is also up on flickr. Thanks for reading/viewing!

15 comments:

  1. I went there last year to film a documentary for a friend's film subject and we stumbled across an inhabited room - cutlery set up, candles still flickering, bed made and duffle bags full of clothing lying around. Last thing I want to see when it's 11 pm and I'm already in tears from how terrifying the place is after dark.. would not like to run into the person living in that room. How creepy is the part where they tried to refurbish a few rooms in the little nook towards the back?

    Excellent photos :3 The second and fourth are my favourite, as is the first one in the Flickr set. I love the colours/mood and you have a really good sense of composition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it too freaky to say I love her freckles? ha! I know, but she looks so gentle and unique. One of my favs is the last one and #7! Such captive eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful images Adele, you have quite an eye! Thanks so much for your application, I am going to go through them all next week!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. great shots! love the colours/filters here. (and her eyebrows! been obsessed with thick graphic brows for a while now.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are amazing! The first two are just stunning, you two did a great job. I really can't wait to see what else you can come up with for future shoots :)
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the choice of location - really beautiful shots. They really set the mood.
    xo!
    Alexandra
    www.alexandragrecco.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, those eyebrows! These shots are so beautiful - so intense. You're very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning shoot you two have created.
    Such gorgeous shots, you should be very pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely haunting, beautiful photos! the description of this place soudns so magical, i would definitely love to visit it one day:)

    xx raez

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these photos are stunning, love the title as well! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowee! This shoot is absolutely gorgeous, love the dark tones :)

    Luv,
    Friend in Fashion
    www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, first time reading your blog and I am so amazed!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful girl! I love her sad features and those eyebrows are amazing.

    invasionista

    ReplyDelete
  14. This shooting is so intense...well done babe! loving her expression and the colors! ...and I am really curious to visit that abandoned scary place xxx

    ReplyDelete